Tuesday, June 19, 2007

E-mail.

Well, folks, I officially have another email account to join my two others. And why? Because RockHarbor decided to give me one. How cool is that?

If there is one thing RH has been good at so far, it has been making me feel like I am part of the staff. I feel as though I am not just an intern, but I am someone who is valued. And although I may be volunteering on a temporary basis, I have value to their staff and am treated like a staff member.

I do not have to get the coffee, but am offered a cup of coffee when I come in. And on top of that, I have even been shown the secret stash of the better creamers and sugars. By the time we had finished lunch, I had been ordained with a computer login and new RH email account. I feel so official. By the end of my first day, I had reviewed the entire GO campaign binder, been briefed on the heirarchy (or lack therof since everything is team), who are in which positions on staff, been introduced to anyone who came through the Green Room (Motion's office), and already began work on photos for the next issue of Motion and brainstorming themes.

And the topper, I can even check my RH email account from home on an Inside RH staff site.

Most of all, RH has given me responsibility. They trust me to do my job, but also allow me to ask questions. I feel as though I am capable of fulfilling my job responsibilties, but know I am being pushed in certain areas. I am excited, however, there is this fear in me that I will fail. That is good. It is pushing me to expand my knowledge, be prepared to learn, and prove to myself I do have a little journalistic talent, but that there is always room for more. I am excited to be scared of failing at this job. I haven't felt that in a while. And in the end, hopefully have a sense that I will succeed in this crazy world of journalism.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Lucky you -- Religion News never gave me an e-mail, making it very difficult to try spelling my miles-long bubbs address and B-I-O-L-A every time I'm on the phone!

And don't worry... you're going to do great! Sounds like you've got a really inspiring job and work environment.