Monday, December 10, 2007

respect

This past week I gained a new respect for my mother...or rather found an old one.

It's finals week and my media integration paper was due last Thursday. Needless to say, it's been a struggle since Thanksgiving. The triptephan in Turkey tends to last weeks after in my tummy - all the way up to my last final. Coffee has filled that nap shaped hole in my heart, and sleep is considered a luxury in my third world country of studying. So last week, the night before my 8 page research paper was due, I was desperate. So I called out the troops which happened to be my mother. She came through for me when I forgot my lunch in third grade and my cheer uniform in high school so I figured why wouldn't she now? And my thoughts were correct. My mother came through for me with her wonder woman costume from high school in the form of grammar and english queen. By the time my mother returned my paper, there were sentences highlighted, phrases crossed out, a lot of commas deleted (apparently they aren't my friends), and my paper was brand spankin' new with gold shiny plating. So maybe not the gold..but it was definitely shining with pretty new sentences and smooth transitions.

Reading through my paper made me realize where I got my little talent for writing and made me respect her knowledge of grammar and English. Although the memories of my sixth grade paper with my mom's red ink smeared all over it looms over my head, that red ink saved my tush this past week.

I called my mom the day I turned it in and she told me to call her when I find out what grade we get. That I will, with a thank you.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

My mom comes to the rescue with these things, too. But that's when Spanish homework comes up. Gotta love moms!

Linda said...

No stalkerish at all. i'd love your friend's info. Does she live in the Seattle area?