Tuesday, December 18, 2007

hautte cakes caffe

Deanna and I sat down at Hautte Cakes Caffe in Newport Beach and took a few seconds to look around. The place was quaint, but stylish. Sophisticated, but laid back. Colorful, but not overbearing. And when the food came? It was delicious and almost perfect.

My good friend Alyssa introduced me to Hautte Cakes last Spring. I fell in love with the place. It is a hole in the wall restaurant in terms of it's location, but the traffic in the little cafe never stops. Remembering the charm of the restaurant late last night, I had the urge to eat there so I texted Deanna and asked her to go to breakfast. This morning I picked her up 9 a.m. sharp - by sharp I mean 10 minutes late - I'm a girl, what do you expect? I gave her a few details about the delectable treat called Hautte Cakes and she was convinced it was the best place to go.

We sat in the little cafe, chit chatting for a bit, and then our food came - brioche french toast bejeweled with berries and the italian scramble. After splitting everything onto two plates, we ate, and continued to eat until both of us had completely cleared our plates of scramble remnants and rich syrup. We both decided we should go out for breakfast more often - especially to Newport chic hole in the wall cafes named Hautte Cakes.

What restaurant with the words hautte and cake in their name couldn't be good?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Love the name -- sounds very Jenna. Wikipedia says: "Haute cuisine (literally "high cooking" in French) or grande cuisine refers to the cooking of the grand restaurants and hotels of the Western world." Awesome.