Sunday, August 9, 2009

hand sewn


I had a date Friday night. With my sewing machine. (I live an exciting life.) Unfortunately, I got stood up because the Singer couldn't wind his Bobbin or something of the sorts, so he sent his wing man - second best, but just as fun. Fortunately, we hit it off pretty well. His name is needle and thread.
*****
I've always loved the idea of sewing. In seventh grade we had Medieval Day and I remember coming up with this grand design and pulling out old sheets and to my parent's dismay, try to sew myself a costume. Unfortunately at about ten o'clock the night before I sat in a heap on the floor frustrated and my Dad convinced me to find something in my Mom's closet. Thankfully, since then I've learned a bit more about sewing and I have a little more patience.

I tend to go through phases though. I'm sure Megan, my old roommate, will never forget coming home to the dorms after classes and see me attempting to sew an apron for a week straight before I realized I didn't have much time to sew and hold two jobs and oh yeah, be a full time student.

However, I'm pretty sure my sewing phase will stick this time. I've been crafting a lot the last few months, which I will soon have a fun announcement going with that, but I also really want to learn to sew...like really know how. So I'm taking a class in a few weeks for how to use a machine. Hopefully, one of my sewing machines will be back in commission soon. Until then, I am loving hand sewing. As I said before, my date with needle and thread went pretty well and this is the result, a new purse! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out since I wasn't really sure what I was doing when I started. 

Up close and personal. I slightly puckered the top under the ruffle. 
Back of purse and inside of the strap.
First lined pocket. I double lined the purse and love how sturdy it feels. Also, notice the light silvery gray floral design on the lining. I love the simplicity of it. 
Second pocket — the perfect size for my iPhone. :)

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

cute!!!
um...when do you want to go on a date to rialto??!?!?

Cristina said...

This is too stinkin' cute! Love it. You did pretty amazing at hand-sewing a purse!!!

Brenda said...

Date with your sewing machine? Please get a real date and put the machine away. Cute purse, but not on a Friday night. Go out with girls!