Friday, June 13, 2008

energy, environment and education

On the upper floor of Metzger Hall at Biola sits the Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC) department. This is where I work. It is composed of journalists, directors, artists, designers, communicators, analysts, planners - the list goes on. The people I work with are fairly young, extremely energetic, multi-talented and cutting edge in their field of work. The web developer and designers are absolutely genius.

Last Spring at the Associated Collegiate Press Conference in D.C. with The Chimes, we were told our website was by far the best collegiate online newspaper website the critic had seen. When asked who our web developer's name was, they recognized his name immediately. I now get to work along side him in IMC and others.

I have big shoes to fill, but the staff has been extremely welcoming. The environment is fun and casual yet professional and productive. My boss has been great so far. She is giving me a long leash, so to speak, so I can mold the position I am taking over. I feel as though we will work together collaboratively, but she is allowing me to be independent for the most part which is awesome.

If anything else, I will be learning a lot in this position. I have already read multiple articles on brand marketing and am going to start reading about public relations this next week. It's awesome to now be paid to learn instead of paying to learn. The concept of not bringing my work home with me is still very fresh. The first day I attempted to bring some of the articles home to read as "homework" and someone told me I didn't have to, when I'm off, I'm off. This whole working thing is quite fun.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Isn't that GREAT to now have boundaries between work and home? Sounds soooooo amazing right now.

Anonymous said...

Welcome aboard Jenna! You are very talented yourself!