Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Why?

You know when you do something and then about a minute later wonder why in the world you did such a thing? I had one of these moments last night on my break from Anthropologie.

I had made my way over to the patio outside Restoration Hardware to eat my turkey sandwich and banana dinner. About half way through the banana a boy walks by, turns and looks at me, then motions to Restoration Hardware and asks if I liked working there. I casually explained I worked at Anthropologie and then what Anthropologie was since he seemed to think it was a shoe store. This eventually progressed into him sitting across from me at the table I was sitting at and us having a conversation. Now, the conversation part I don't mind. What happened after the conversation ended is what I do mind.

Kris works at PacSun and was on his break too. After we finished talking and he informed me he had to go back to work, he asked for my number. I hesitated. He handed me his phone. I hesitated. And he said you don't have to. I hesitated...and then for some reason my fingers started to punch in my phone number into his phone - the same phone I have, but black.

I wasn't quite sure why I was putting my phone number into his phone. Yes, he was cute and the same age, but I don't know him. My internal self was having a debate with itself. I'd be mean not to give him my phone number. But he could be a serial killer. Does he seem like a serial killer?

So I did what any girl would do...called a girl friend and asked what I should do should he call? We decided to hope he didn't.

And then he did. Well..he didn't call. He text me. And so the game begins.

Hopefully, I will be a bit smarter throughout the rest of my conversations with him. At this point, I have avoided making plans and my schedule is full.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

It's always hard to resist things like that when people totally take you off guard. This sorta reminds me of the incident when Melissa and I exchanged phone #'s with 5 complete strangers while driving down the 5. I'm sure you remember that, it was hilarious. But be safe, and don't let him invite you anywhere sketchy...

Cristina said...

Jenners, I agree...be very careful if/when he asks you to hang out. If you end up wanting to hang out make sure to bring at LEAST one other person. Make it a group thing the first few times you hang out until you know him a little better. You never know what can happen...does he go to Church??? Be careful :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joie, I found your blog on technorati on my rockharbor search. I have wrestled with this, but on the other side of the coin. Should I even ask for a girl's number if I don't know she's a christian? I don't think it's right for me to do this unless I know they're a Christian, so it's always a good opportunity to share the gospel and find out if they are or not! I am only looking for a girl sold out for Jesus, so there's no point to pursue anything less. There is a girl in my life group who always meets guys asking for her number and what she does is invite them to church and make sure she connects the guys with one of the christian guys she knows. I would encourage all the girls in my life group to never hang out one-on-one with a nonchristian guy, but rather to invite them into community. Hope this blesses you.

Jesus is Lord!

Ken