Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Retail Respect

Let's just say standing for 8 hours in cute shoes is not a painless job. I will admit it is a fun one though.

Last Friday, I trained at Anthropologie, not without another communication error though. It makes me laugh how Erin told me two days after my interview I was hired, yet it took me approximately 8 phone calls to be told I was hired and to figure out training with a manager. I arrived 10 minutes early to Anthropologie...this is an accomplishment since I am being known for being 5 minutes late to everything, it's something I'm working on to say the least. When I knocked on the manager's door, the first words were "Your early!" This was like the sound of a fiddle player plucking joyous strings in my heart. I rarely ever hear that phrase. The second thing she said to me was, "Did Halle call and tell you you are working a full shift today?" Oh the laughter in my mind repeats. "No. She didn't. I thought I was just training from 2 to 4." Kris gave a sigh of frustration and a look at the ceiling. Then she said, "Ok. Well, if you can't, that's ok, but if you can, that'd be great." I thought for a moment. Sit at home and possibly watch a movie or make $9.75 an hour working. I looked at Kris and said with enthusiasm, "I can work!"

So I worked a full 8 hour shift. Kris scheduled my break the same hour as Erin's which was great so we could catch up a bit and I could eat with someone I know. This was relaxing since it is a bit nervewracking working in retail when you never have before. Overall, I loved it though! My feet were hurting and so was my lower back from the extended period of standing I haven't done since working at Timeless Treasures, a scrapbooking store, in high school, but the talking to customers and meeting the other girls that work there was great. Everyone is extremely nice. The girl that gave me a detailed tour of the store, Melise, is from Turkey. And Heather and Carly both go to Rock Harbor too. Allegra is quiet, but sweet, and the list goes on.

I'm excited to continue to meet the girls who work there, and learn more about the store.

And for my feet to get used to the standing thing...

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hey Jenna,
To delete posts, go to "customize" on the upper right hand corner when you're signed in. From there, click on the "posting" tab, then "edit posts." It will give you a list of your posts and there should be a "delete" link next to all of them.
Hope that works...lemme know!