Saturday, January 2, 2010

dressed up brussel sprouts

My new year resolutions post will have to wait until tomorrow. I broke ground today and must share the news — brussel sprouts aren't that bad. 

By the age of four I had a distaste for the small green rounds known as brussel sprouts. And if ever offered them, I politely have said no since...until tonight. I couldn't resist when I went grocery shopping this evening. They were all sitting there piled high and looking cute in their perfect circular green jackets. And on top of that Deb from Smitten Kitchen has posted numerous recipes for brussel sprouts in the past few months which seemed to de-mask them as awful. 

So I did what any good cook would do and bought 2. Yes, only 2. I didn't want a lot of them lying around if I really didn't like them. I adapted a recipe from Smitten Kitchen and they actually made a wonderful addition to my dinner. 

In case you too have had a fear of the little greens, this recipe is quite easy and delicious. (I only made two so you will need to significantly increase the recipe if you make more.) 

Dressed Up Brussel Sprouts

1 tb bread crumbs 
1/2 tsp thyme leaves
butter
extra virgin olive oil
1 tb minced shallot
garlic powder
salt, pepper

Mix bread crumbs, thyme and 1 tb of evoo in a small bowl. Spread mixture out on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 min. at 350 degrees. Melt 1 tb butter with a tb of evoo in a small pan. When melted, toss in the brussel sprouts, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and saute for approximately 10 minutes. Add in shallots and a tad bit of garlic powder. Saute for another three to five minutes. Remove from heat. Place in bowl and sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments: