Thursday, January 29, 2009

my absence

My absence from blogging is really my addiction. An addiction to remembering high school, the cliques, the good kids, the Christians, the jocks, the drinkers, my love/hate relationship with my high school boyfriend, being a cheerleader, the ups and downs, and the list goes on. Really, I don't like remembering high school all that much. I loved high school when I was in it. I cried at my high school graduation because I didn't want to leave — remember I tend to become attached to places. But all that changed after I left.

The summer after I left, it was no turning back. I had good times, but that part of my life was over. In fact, I don't even like driving by my high school unless I have to. I think a lot of that comes from the fact that high school was such a different time and a different mind set, a slightly less developed one.

However, I can't help but laugh with joy and cry with resonance (and enjoy it) when I watch Friday Night Lights, the NBC television show which I quickly embraced as an addiction after two episodes a week or so ago after reading Brett's post. I actually ignored life to a slight extent last weekend so I could catch up to Season 3 (Thanks to Hulu).

Friday Night Lights is a great rendition to what life was like in high school. It's not the everyday high school drama broadcast on television. To me, it actually depicts what life was like in high school — everyone competing for something, wanting something more and in a sense as much as there are cliques and stereotypes, there are always those breaking them. The one difference is this small town is obsessed with high school football and I can tell you from watching the last two seasons I think I understand the sport more now than I did in two years of cheering for a bottom of the barrel losing team every Friday night. So even if I am spending my time watching television, at least I'm learning something about football, remembering high school positively or receiving wisdom from the high school guidance counselor, Tami.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well put! Watching this show is such a strange and therapeutic trip down high school memory lane.