Wednesday, September 10, 2008

be still

The concept to be still is a tale as old as time, but something completely new to me. My efforts to be still are often far and few between because of my busy life. However, with that has come a lack of attention towards my creator.

On Sunday, Mike Erre described being still with the image of a child after a day at Disneyland in their father's arms - allowing yourself to be complete dead weight, no effort to hold your head up, comforted by arms that hold you tightly, and arms that you can trust to carry you home. That image resonates with my mind, but it is a concept my heart is still grasping.

RH dedicated this week to pursue God as they look to the holy spirit to guide the church into the next year. The week, called Awakened, has woken me up each day at 5:30 to travel to church for a "service" from 6 to 7 a.m. I only intended to attend the Monday service. I figured one day would show I was committed, but would not interfere with my schedule. Needless to say the week has interfered with my schedule more than I thought it would.

Each day, it is harder to get out of bed, but easier to make the decision to do so. The week has been a time of being still in the mornings, listening to God. When I arrive at the church, I speak to no one, but sit on the floor of the sanctuary alongside other church members. Two staff members lead the morning times. The best way to describe it would be contemplative prayer and worship. I'm not sure if to say that I have fallen in love with God again is a good way to comprehend what I have been learning, but this has been a week of rediscovery. It has been a week of deepening my understanding of my relationship with Him, my love for Him and His love for me. It has been a week of awakening.

I need to rip up my planner and allow interference in my schedule more often.

No comments: