Sunday, July 6, 2008

IVs, the ER and GI Cocktails

I took my first steps into the ER as a patient this past February after being in a car accident. I walked in with some whiplash and walked out about an hour later with some vicaden. I was happy.

I took my second steps into the ER as a patient this weekend. I'm not sure if steps would be the appropriate word since I really wanted to crawl. Thursday night I came home with a full stomach and a mild case of food poisoning. I thought I was simply really full..until I wouldn't stop throwing up and the nausea didn't leave me. I called my mom and bless her heart, she came over to take care of me at 2:30 a.m. By Friday morning, I had enough and she took me to the ER.

I was not expecting a pleasant experience - hospitals usually make me feel faint and the idea of a needle makes me dizzy, but I can proudly say I love the ER. They gave me anti nausea medicine as soon as I walked through those lovely doors to the back, stuck a needle in my vein which I barely felt, I didn't even know they took my blood, and gave me a GI cocktail which made me all numb and needless to say happy that I wasn't curled over a toilet. Not to mention, the nurses and doctor were all incredibly nice. I can't say I want to go back soon, but I am definitely thankful for IVs, the ER, GI cocktails and friendly nurses.

4 comments:

babyrndeb said...

hope you are feeling better! :)
We're not all that bad...infact some of us are sort of fun and like hanging out in hospitals.

Michelle said...

Oh Jenna!! Hope you're feeling better from your near-death ER experience! I can't imagine what a GI cocktail is, though -- although it sounds strong enough to convince a wounded soldier he's okay so it must be good.

Unknown said...

Ah.. I also was throwing up this same weekend. It hit me so quick. Shivering. Dizziness. Etc. I am sure it was food poisoning. Dang Talon.

Anonymous said...

in the medical world, GI is short for gastro-intestinal. :)