Thursday, July 9, 2009

talking about green

I've never liked to spend much money. Well, that may not be completely truthful. I love to spend money, however, I strongly dislike seeing it leave my pocket.

As a kid, when my parents would give me spending money, I would use as little as possible and then store the rest away in my piggy bank. I loved the idea of saving. I think I get it from my penny-pinching father. However, the idea even transferred over into food. When we had parties at school, more often than not if there were cupcakes or brownies or some sort of sweet of the sort, it would be stored away in my desk until later...when I thought I would enjoy it more.

So last week when my friends and I played "Would you rather?" and I got the question "Would you rather have someone give you one million dollars now or ten million in ten years?" Of course, I said ten million in ten years.

Well, now when I see something and say "I could make that." I'd rather take the time to make it, than spend money and get the instant satisfaction. In the end, I've found I always get more satisfaction from blood, sweat and tears...or rather, time, craftiness and art, then just purchasing something someone else made. Although, I'll admit, I think some of my projects and "I can make that" ideas turn out to be more expensive than the store bought piece. But to me, it's worth more.

The photo at the top is a sneak peek of a project I'm working on right now. More to come soon!

1 comment:

Cristina said...

Okay, seriously ... This is so not fair. Are you making something to hang purses and scarves from for the wall? Cute knob {Anthro I'm assuming?}! XOXO