Saturday, April 19, 2008

Saying Goodbye



It's taken me a while to sit down and write this. I've created a few new posts the past week and not posted them. Dr. Clyde Cook, president emeritus of Biola, passed away last Friday night from a heart attack. I got the text message at 10:30 p.m. I was with a few members of The Chimes staff so we immediately confirmed his death with an official source, went to the office, wrote up the story for The Chimes Online and created a blog for people to post their memories.

The next few days were crazy. We pulled together a tabloid issue dedicated to Dr. Cook detailing his athletic career, his memorial services and his time at Biola. The title was Saying Goodbye.

I spent 25 hours this past week learning more about Dr. Cook and outlining his life. I spent more time with him this past week than I did when he was alive. But I'm not sure if I have said goodbye yet. I wasn't even sad when I got that text message. I was shocked, but then my journalistic mind went into work mode and that was that.

Now it's been a week and I'm ready to say goodbye, but I still feel numb. I don't think I ever thought a man with his grandeur could die. At least not this soon. I have to thank him for the many times he smiled at me and was gracious with me. I remember how intimidated I was the first time I interviewed him for The Chimes, but he sat me down in his office and made me laugh.

Clyde, thank you for making me laugh. Thank you for giving your life to the Biola community for so many years. You made it a better place. It and I will miss you.

No comments: