Sunday, February 17, 2008

Surprise Me

At RockHarbor this morning, a new series started. It is called The last week of Jesus. Each week the pastor will be discussing one of the days in the week before Jesus' crucifixion.

Today started with the day Jesus rode into the city from the East on a donkey.

Palm fronds. I always thought when we reenacted the scene in sunday school that we were keeping Jesus cool by fanning him with palm fronds. Somehow I got this far through Biola without hearing different. Palm fronds were essentially a demand from the Jews on Jesus for him to be the savior they wanted him to be, to give them their freedom. To release them from the reigns of Ceasar and Pontius Pilate. The Jews had an expectation. An image. A picture they expected the man on the donkey to fulfill. When he didn't and through a series of events, Jesus was crucified.

Do I have a picture of a Jesus that I want? Do I expect Jesus to do certain things in my life? Do I demand expectations from God?

Yes. I do.

Today I am praying. I am praying to throw the puzzle pieces from the image I want my life to look like away. I am praying for God to surprise me. I don't want the life I picture. I want the life God has planned for me. I want His purpose in my life and that alone. He has an image - a perfect image - of my life and what it will look like. It may not look like the puzzle lid image I had in mind, but it will be better.

So. God, Surprise me!

2 comments:

justanotherManda said...

Yay for both of us blogging about our church experiences! Its exciting to see growth in both of our lives. yay God!

Jasmine said...

I was at the 7pm Rock Harbor service on Sunday! It was such a great message...I love that church! :)