Monday, September 7, 2009

french...check!?!


In Junior High, at the start of each trimester we would turn in our top three choices for electives and then the school would choose which class we took. My top three choices were French, Industrial Tech., and then Spanish. Spanish was my last choice. It was more to make my parents happy if anything, since as they said, it was useful. 

So of course, first semester, I did my time. I was placed in Spanish class. You would have thought it was the death of me at the time. I had an entire three to four months of Spanish, but I think I remember maybe two words from the class — the ones I knew before I took the course. 

The next semester I was placed in Industrial Tech. Although I loved the course, I was starting to fear I would never be able to take Intro. to French, meaning I wouldn't be able to spend the next full year in French 1, losing my chances of taking French 2 freshman year of high school. Well, to my avail after a fun few months of "playing with the boys" in Industrial Tech., I finally met my destiny third trimester.  

To my relief, I went on to take French 1 in eighth grade and French 2 my freshman year of high school, continuing to French 4 my junior year. Well, here I am, ten years later, and I'm still placing "French" as one of "my options." 

I made it to France my junior year through Biola's art department after years of wondering if I'd ever make it. Now, I'm wondering when I'll make it back. I keep selecting France as one of my options. I looked for jobs in Paris after college to no avail. And now, I'm starting Grad. School, which again closes the French doors for a while longer. But one day, I really hope, I'll be able to check France off as a place I've lived. For now, I'd like to take sewing, arts & crafts, and oh yes, French please! 

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I enjoyed your story :) It's funny because just yesterday I was about to start searching for my Italian language books/CD with the hopes of someday being able to use it again. Even though I know California will be my home for at least the next few years it never hurts to be prepared ;) I am convinced that a move to Europe must, and will happen at some point in the future.