Sunday, May 13, 2007

Catching Fireflies

So there I sat. My foot bouncing up and down, toe-a-tapping, Nickel Creek a-playing. My world had suddenly turned into a joyous rendition of a backyard country fair. My mind was whisked away to mush at the thought of catching fireflies on a starry night and dancing while a blue grass band plucked the strings of their banjos.

And then my eyes scan to my left, there sat a middle aged women clucking to her husband about the status of our flight. I had arrived at the airport approximately 2 hours earlier and still had at least another 3 hours to go, all at the cost of a bird flying into the engine. Who would have thought a bird in the engine would cause a 5 hour delay? So then my eyes scan to the right and I spy the woman in a pink terry cloth jump suit with her hair pulled messily into a bun and eyes peering over a People magazine whom had befriended me the second I sat down. Apparently the thought of a 5 hour delay bonds people instantly. As soon as I had sat down and she heard me relay the status of our flight to my father over the phone, which I had thought to be a 2 hour delay at that point, her eyes widened. She leaned forward and informed me what she knew.

"I heard we might be delayed until the morning. I'm not staying here until the morning, I'll tell you that," said the pink lips. And with that she leaned back to hear my response. And then we were friends. Well, if you consider me watching her things while she uses the restroom and listening to her life story, friends.

The rest of the jet setters sat or stood in the waiting area tapping their foot with impatience or attempting to be content with a cup of joe and newspaper. The professionals all had their laptops out typing away furiously and some in conversation on their hip cell phone. And some like me, whisked away to another world in their headphones. So my mind went back to the romantic sounds of Nickel Creek now playing another beautiful picture. And there I was sitting on a back porch on a hot summer night in the South watching the whispy clouds make a path for the stars.

No comments: