Wednesday, November 4, 2009

the cake

My Dad turned 60 years old on Halloween. He doesn't act or look like a sixty year-old in my opinion, but I knew he should at least have the kind of cake grand enough for a sixtieth year birthday, so I searched and Deb from Smitten Kitchen as usual had the perfect cake - Chocolate Butter Cake with Raspberry Filling and Bittersweet Brandied Ganache. If your mouth isn't watering already, here are some delicious photos of the baking process and finished highly acclaimed (by birthday party attendees & my Dad himself) finished product, pretty much the best chocolate cake I've tasted in a long time.



I affectionately call this cake dust, which often occurs when you press mix without patting the flour, sugar down a bit. Oops.


The recipe called for a cup of freshly brewed coffee so of course I used it as an excuse to go to Starbucks - a cup for the cake & a cup for me.






So I really wanted to decorate the cake, but I began to run out of time and my attempt to move the cake from my "frosting board" to cake platter wasn't looking too successful so I ended up just decorating the frosting board. Good learning experience?!?

No comments: